Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras announced on Monday a package of relief measures for the victims of the blaze that burned houses and large swathes of forest and farmland on Thassos.
Speaking after a meeting with local officials in Prinos during a visit on the island, Tsipras said affected farmers, livestock farmers and beekeepers will receive compensation from the ministry of agriculture and the farmers’ insurance fund ELGA.
He also said the Infrastructure ministry will cover 80 percent of the cost for the reconstruction of the houses that were burned while the other 20 percent will be covered with a long-term loan. The government will also prepare studies on flood protection and for the swift reforestation of the land.
"The destruction is extensive, but Thassos has huge reserves of green areas and will remain a very important tourist destination,” Tsipras said.